I also acknowledge that a lot of little girls are drawn to the prettiness, or romantic nature, or story telling of princessory without having to buy into the anti-feminist jargon. So we have kept Sydney from all of the movies and stories that have the damsels in distress but have made not effort to keep her from the idea of a "princess." With her dress-up birthday present came many princess wands and tiaras, but no preconceived expectations.
The result?
We are all being princesses, of course. To be a princess, you need a cool hat and a wand. Jack's wand was a rattle, but he dropped it just before we took the picture.I love this kind of princess.
I much prefer Sydney's idea of a princess, compared to the one that is considered the norm.
ReplyDeleteI hope to hear more later about her adventures as a princess. she's gonna need a bow and some arrows ;)
This is awesome. The one thing I actually have sewn in the past ten years is a set of Harry Potter hats from felt. Silly or pretty hats will definitely be part of our prince/princess routine. I love how you've passed the love of hats on to the kids.
ReplyDeleteOh, she HAS a bow and arrows. Of course!
ReplyDeleteI do have a love of hats, don't I?