Saturday, April 9, 2011

Taking my Daughter to School

I took Sydney up to school today so she could play and I could actually get some work done. (I got a new student just before Spring Break and somehow have not caught up with my work since.)


Sydney played for almost five hours. I was amazed by her willingness to just entertain herself in my classroom. After two and half hours, I called home and told Jeremy that I really wasn't sure when we would be home since neither of us looked the least bit ready.

Sydney mostly played with the small critters and blocks, but also enjoyed the white boards, dollhouse people, magnetic paper dolls and the feed the monkey game.

She also asked to read books.

I haven't tried reading with her in a while. The last time we tried, she was able to manage some very simple books but tired easily and just wasn't all that interested.

This time, I could tell she was ready to take off.

She doesn't know any sight words, yet, so what she is doing with her reading is understanding the pattern of the book, coupled with using picture cues, and showing some really excellent one-to-one matching of spoken and printed words. I took this video of her second and third time reading each of these books. She has memorized a lot, but she is also very much on her way to reading.



And I am enormously proud of her.

1 comment:

  1. You should be enormously proud of her! That was outstanding. :)

    ReplyDelete