One of the great past times around here, especially in the car, is making up songs. Ever since I was in college with my future opera singer roommate, I've learned to enjoy the nonsense song and the random musical moment. Jeremy, who is really very witty and can actually carry a tune, is even better at it than I am. In the hospital, on the day of her birth, Jeremy composed the "Sydney Marie" song to the tune of "Winnie the Pooh"
Sydney Marie
Sydney Marie
Cutest little baby that you ever did see
Her name is Sydney Marie
Sydney Marie
Everybody's favorite little girl
We sing these songs and make up new ones as the urge strikes. I seem to remember several variations on the "I'm hungry" theme on the way to a restaurant:
I am so hungry (so very hungry)
I must eat now (she must eat now)
I will soon starve (to death she says)
I must eat now (she must eat now)
Sydney has picked up on this household tradition and makes up her own narrative songs:
It's fun to play with Abigail
Abigail
Abigail
Fun play Abigail
Sean
Last night though, she figured out that she could take a known tune and modify it for her own purposes.
We often sing "You Are My Sunshine" at bedtime. We add the little known second verse:
You are my Sydney
My only Sydney
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my Sydney away
It was Sydney who came up with the third, fourth and fifth verses. The third verse she sang while holding her special baby doll, Baby.
You are my Baby
My only Baby
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my Baby away
The fourth and fifth verses she came up with this evening and are for Mama and Daddy, respectively.
Having your toddler sing "You are my Mama/My only Mama/You make me happy/When skies are gray" is pretty much the perfect ending to any day.
Awww, cute. I was singing right along with your new words. When S.G. was a toddler, she changed the words to one of our church songs..."This is the day that the Lord has made.." to "This is the Nana that the Lord has made..." It was terribly cute and her Nana loved it.
ReplyDeleteAw. See I was feeling really special with the "You are my Mama/My only Mama/You make me happy" bit and then yesterday she added:
ReplyDeleteyou are my sock
you are my green shirt
and
you are my jean pants
I mean, I know she loves her clothes, but really?