Monday, June 1, 2009

Leap of Faith (and Coffee)

Today was Jeremy's first day back at work after his paternity leave. This also means that it was my first day alone with, gasp, two children.

It is an odd feeling... the empowerment of new motherhood superimposed with the vulnerability of the same.

So, on the one hand, I was dreading this first day, while on the other hand, I was so excited at the idea of all of the things we could do. I decided, therefore, to take an Indian Jones style leap of faith and headed out to get coffee and play at Jungle Java (one of Sydney's favorite play places) early this morning.

We got there just before nine and didn't leave until after noon. That in and of itself should tell you how well the morning went. Sydney did indeed have her coffee (iced decaf soy latte, actually) and Jack nursed off and on the entire time. Sydney played happily by herself all throughout the playscape, checking in with me every half hour or so.

Towards the end (after a crowd kids there for a birthday party had left), I even let Jack "play" for a bit. Sydney was very attentive to him while he was on the floor.

So I got my new favorite picture of the two of them. (She is actually telling him, "Jack, I like your eyes.")

What a great start to our summer together. I am so glad I took the leap.

5 comments:

  1. Okay that has got to be one of the cutest pictures ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a photo of sydney falling in love with jack... it nearly brought me to tears!

    and thumbs up for finding a sleeper that coordinates with the hand made blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and i'm so happy you took the leap too! kids are portable, yanno...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don’t put that Indy hat down…each outing and experience with both of them will make you more and more comfortable. You are a rock star mama for doing something like this so soon and I am most impressed!

    That picture of them is beautiful and Kim is right. Seeing Sydney fall in love with Jack is a true moment, and now we all got to see it. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a great pic. of them together... She is such a great big sis... I bet his eyes are just gorgous!

    ReplyDelete