Saturday, May 14, 2011

Being Jack's Sister

Today was Jack's second birthday party and on our way to get the ladybugs (because of course we had live ladybugs as a table center piece), I talked to Sydney about what that meant. We talked about it being her brother's special day and that it was her job as his big sister to do whatever it took to help him have a good day.

I don't know what I really expected when I told her that, but she sure took it to heart and came through. She is normally very sweet to her brother but today she was amazingly thoughtful, understanding, and kind.

Jack got a new car, which Sydney did drive a bit, even chauffeuring Jack around, but when he wanted it all to himself, she stepped away without hardly a huff.

Sydney and her pal Andrew did anything and everything we asked of them as far as participating in the party and letting Jack have the things Jack wanted.

They even posed for the group picture without a fuss.

When the bounce house play got too rough and heads were bonked, Sydney cried, and she did tell her daddy to be more careful, but she did not yell at her brother whose head cracked her in the jaw.

She even shared the attention of her Grandma and her Gram who came up from Houston.

She was absolutely amazing. I don't know what I have or haven't done to help her be such a wonderful big sister, but I am grateful every day for the way she treats her brother, especially on special days like today.

I will say, though, that being such a wonderful big sister is very hard work.

I had promised Sydney the chance to play with some special toys after Jack went to bed, but he outlasted her; she'll get to play with them tomorrow.




At one point in the bounce house, I was trying to get Jeremy to take a family picture of us all laying down. It was after five and Jack had reached the "if I stop moving I'll fall asleep, so move, move, move" part of his evening, so I couldn't get him in the shot at all. Jeremy still took a couple of pictures and I loved the way this one came out.

I look at it, though, and I think, "This could have been our family." We were a family of three just two years ago. If life had gone a different way, we could have stayed a family of three. But I look at this picture and I think, "Even if we had not had a Jack, this would not have been our family." Jack has helped Sydney to become a more empathic little girl. He forces Jeremy to be more patient and understanding. Jack makes me more reflective of myself, thinking of all the ways he and I are alike. We might have been a family of three before Jack, but the three of us were not the same people we are now. Even without his face in the frame, I feel Jack in this picture. This used to be our family, but I am so grateful that we grew. So grateful to have a Jack in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. You all got some adorable photos on Jack's big day. Sydney is such a sweet little girl. I'm glad she enjoys being kind to her brother.

    ReplyDelete