Friday, May 27, 2011

We went to Houston to see Gram and Uncle Jon last weekend and this weekend, Gram and Uncle Jon came to Georgetown to see us. (Well, they also had a special invitation to a Memorial Day service at the Capital, but we think they mostly came to see us.)

Sydney has very special relationships with all of her grandmothers, and she is so blessed to have three wonderful grandmothers and two marvelo0us great-grandmothers. I think that the thing I love most about seeing Sydney with Gram, though, is that I suspect I am seeing a little bit of a mirror -- from Gram as a young girl to Sydney.

While Gram and Uncle Jonathan were visiting, we switched our outdoor place space from the overly hot backyard to the breezy front-back porch, complete with a new water table and play sink.
After playing on the front-back porch for a hour or more, we moved inside, put Jack down for the night and decided to play a game of Monopoly -- Rebecca-style.


Sydney opted to play as the sweet little girl and Jeremy spoke Spanish again (despite Uncle Mark's observation that you never see a Mexican carnie). I was a Southern Belle. Gram chose a Cartman voice and Uncle Jonathan did a wonderful Christopher Walken impression.

The next day, Gram, Uncle Jonathan and Jeremy went to the Memorial service. Grandpa Nolen was supposed to have come as well, but came down with the flu and was unable to fly.

Jeremy said the service was really nice and that the congressman from Alvin was really thoughtful and caring, searching out Gram and having his aide sit with Jeremy when Gram and Uncle Jonathan had floor seats and Jeremy was by himself in the balcony.

When they got back, we went out to dinner and then came home for some more quality time with Uncle Jon and Gram. This evening we rode bikes.

The following morning, Gram had to head back to Houston, but Uncle Jonathan got to stay another a day and a half.

I know Sydney really enjoyed the special double-Gram time, two weekends in a row.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad y'all got to spend two weekends with Uncle Jon on his leave. It looks as though the family enjoyed the togetherness very much.

    ReplyDelete