Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Teacher of the Year

Today I stood up in front of a room full of people as someone announced that I was Carver's Teacher of the Year. Jeremy was there and brought the kids with him.

At various points as I stood there as the other campus Teachers of the Year were called, Sydney and Jack took turns standing next to me at the front of the room.

I know that the moment was there for me to relish being Teacher of the Year and really, I am very proud of that award. Very proud.

But as I stood there, everyone looking at me and my kids, several people commenting on how adorable my daughter was, or how cute my son was acting, I realized I was far more proud of being their mother than anything else in the world.

I actually wound up handing off my trophy so I could hold Jack. I guess that tells it all, doesn't it?

I always wanted to be Teacher of the Year. I'm still proud of it.

But it was funny to realize that in the moment of that celebration, that the prize I wanted was my kids.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award and on two very awesome kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Rebecca! Fabulous teacher, wonderful mom!!

    ReplyDelete