Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cooking with Dad

I am about to let you in on a little secret.

The way to get Sydney's daddy to do something is to do it wrong in front of him many, many times.

He will finally get tired of watching this thing done in an amateurish way and step in to do it right.

This is how I don't have to be responsible for power tools, hanging pictures, or grocery shopping.

This is also how I got Jeremy to start cooking with Sydney.

I imagine that Sydney and I will continue to play in the kitchen. But when she and I are cooking, it will be play, making fun little recipes just for the fun of it. When Jeremy and Sydney are in the kitchen, they are really and truly cooking.

I am sitting here listening to them make chocolate chip cookies as I type and it sounds like a cooking show from TV.

Jeremy has explained why you want to soften the butter but not melt it, what order to add the ingredients and why, what type of spoon to use in the stirring (a heavy gauge metal one works best), how to measure brown sugar, and the many uses of flour.

I am so glad he decided to take on Sydney's culinary education.

I think I'll stick with phonics.

5 comments:

  1. I thought you baked cookies by opening the package and making sure there was an even amount of space between the little blobs. There is another way?

    Love,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my husband more than words can say! Maybe I need to find out how to make him real chocolate chip cookies when we get home.
    Love,
    Suzanne
    P.S.- I have a Nigerian dress for Sydney that matches my green one- I'm hoping it's not too big for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Daddy actually read what you post on these blogs?

    Also does anyone think Sydney actually retained or even understood notes such as what type of spoon to use.

    I also think the real steps to making cookies involve things like open package, put down cookie dough and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know, apparently cookies can be made from flour and sugar and other fancy ingredients. I actually didn't know how to make them that way until I was in college.

    Jeremy reads all of the blog posts... and any that I think there's a chance he would take exception to, he reads in advance, just in case. :)

    And no, Sydney won't remember everything Jeremy said this time, but if he keeps doing what he's doing, she will take it all in over time, just like with anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. look how fast she moved from pouring and stirring trail mix, to learning how to make Daddy's cookies! I guess on my next trip I'll teach her to make King Ranch Casserole!

    ReplyDelete