Saturday, July 18, 2009

King Ranch Casserole

There are a lot of milestone moments in the world, and I guess this one is not that big by comparison to some, but Sydney is her father's daughter and Nolens are particularly proud of this recipe, so here it is, Sydney's first time to help make King Ranch Casserole.



After the cooking, Sydney decided to get things ready for dinner. We had the Brutons over, so there were four kids eating dinner last night. Without prompting or help, Sydney set out dinner bowls and spoons for all of the kids:

I am proud of this on so many levels. I am proud that she thought of her friends and not just herself when getting ready for dinner. I am proud that she tried to do matching spoons (the second yellow one was not the same as the others, but that's only because she couldn't find the green spoon that rounds out the set). I am proud that she has sufficient counting skills and one to one correspondence at the age of two to know that there were four children and that she would need four bowls and four spoons. And I am proud of the general orderliness of it all... four little bowls and spoons in a row, waiting for dinner to be ready.

And then I think: is first born perfectionism even worth fighting against?

2 comments:

  1. That is very impressive!!! She is quite smart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of her.... by the time I see her again I'll be teaching her rack of lamb! the newfound skills are very impressive, but what makes me the most proud is that she has already learned that things like cooking and helping can be as much fun as playing with toys or watching TV, mostly because you're doing them with and for your loved ones.

    you're right... her perfectionism is hard-wired, and you guys are doing a fabulous job of helping her balance that out with joyful silliness and messiness! yippee!

    ReplyDelete