Friday, July 17, 2009

Picnic at Southwestern

One thing about settling in your college town is that your Alma Mater is right down the road. Not only do I love visiting Southwestern, and love sharing the campus with Sydney, I also love that the very idea of a college (and therefore hopefully a college education) is ingrained in her from the start.

So this morning, as I was searching for something new and exciting to do for today's adventure, I decided to do a picnic breakfast at Southwestern. Since my friend Marie and her son Enzo have moved back to Georgetown and live literally across the street from the school, we invited them to come along with us.

We settled down on the grassy knoll by the newer, smaller fountain (the large fountain was off for the summer, and too close to the street in any case). Our picnic included all sorts of fruit, homemade muffins and croissants. We also brought bubbles to blow and balls to run around and throw. But mostly, the kids played at the fountain. At one point, we all sat with our feet in the fountain and hoped the Southwestern police didn't come to fuss at us.


I love that water brings Sydney so much joy and I am grateful to add Southwestern's fountain to her list of happy places. I am glad that Southwestern may be a comfortable space for her, a homey space. I don't expect her to attend Southwestern someday. In fact, for the expense and for the proximity, I sort of hope she doesn't. But I do want her to go off to college with an idea of what a college is and an expectation of finding one that feels right for her by comparison.

4 comments:

  1. That last picture of Sydney is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember karaoke by that fountain. Yay! We took Pip to the pool tonight, and he loved it. I never knew how much fun a water baby could be. Hopefully we have fountains in our future, too. Great photos, and yay on the erudite breakfast surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a fine thing, taking Sydney to a favorite college campus and allowing her to explore. She is young, yes - but kids are never too young for you to plant the seed that becomes a college education! Let's see . . . high school class of 2025 (right?!), so Class of 2029 if Sydney decides to go to Texas A&M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it too early to map out which colleges we'll be visiting with her in high school? hehehe

    ReplyDelete