Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Piano of Presumption

Having seen how much Sydney likes to share silly songs with her daddy and super serious musicals with me, I knew I wanted her to take piano lessons early (not this early, later early) so that she could learn to read music. With that in mind, I knew I wanted a piano and had starting looking on craigslist for a good deal.

During this process, I thought about my mother-in-law's piano. She keeps cleaning out unneeded stuff from her house and has long range plans of moving to a smaller space. Surely she doesn't want that old piano at her house anymore (anyone smelling the presumption, yet?).

Long story short (too late), I was nosing around movers' websites looking to see how much it would cost to move my mother-in-law's piano (you know, in case she ever offered it up) verses how much to buy one off of craigslist and I found a mover offering a great deal if I could arrange to move the piano that week (which was last week).

Arrange to move a piano I had not been offered? Sure, why not? So I made Jeremy call his mom and ask her about the piano. (It's not that I was too chicken to call; I wanted her to have the honest chance of saying "no" and felt she could tell him no without any hurt feelings, if she wanted to.)

It turns out that she was thinking she wanted to get rid of it eventually and would even be willing to take off work a little early to meet the movers. Whew.

She did ask later how I knew she wanted to get rid of the piano. You know, like had she mentioned it? So I had to explain that, no, I just presumed.

And that, kids, is the story of the piano of presumption (alternatively titled "Why Low-Key Mothers-In-Law ROCK").



Thanks for the piano, Gramber Kim!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is sooooo cool!!! I'm glad that she was ready to give it away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the cutest smiles I've ever seen on her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. I am so glad that the timing worked out.

    The smile is cute, and Sydney looks super grown up in that picture, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While the 'hey mom, can we have your piano' phone call was a bit of a surprise, it worked out perfectly. I couldn't have planned it better myself!

    And for the record, low-key daughters-in-law rock too....

    ReplyDelete