Thursday, July 9, 2009

Two and a half

I was teaching Sydney to answer the question, "How old are you?" yesterday. We practiced many times...

Sydney, how old are you?

Two and a half.

Sydney, how old are you?

Two and a half.

Wait. Two and a half?!?

She's two and a half? I don't know how this is just now registering with me. She seems so much older. She's only two and a half.

Yesterday, she came home, opened the tupperware that held the cookies she helped make, took a cookie, and then closed the tupperware (and left it on the floor).

Yesterday, I left my sewing machine out and told her not to mess with it, and she didn't. Just because I told her not to. She did continue to trip over the cord, but I think I was being unreasonable having a cord running across her playroom and expecting her to not trip over it.

Yesterday, she wanted to listen to a certain CD in the car, and when I said, "no" she told me, "it's important to me" instead of pitching a fit... yes, I let her listen to her CD.

Today, she left the pool when I told her to, even though she didn't want to. She did cry, but she took my hand and walked away with me.

Today, she asked for raisins, and when I said, yes, she went and got a cup, got the raisins from the pantry and put the raisins in the cup for herself. She did spill a bunch on the floor, but she picked them up when I asked.

Today, I found her getting into a drawer in the kitchen. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, "I need a bag." Sure enough, she had left over raisins and wanted a ziplock bag to put them in. She then put the ziplock bag with the raisins in her lunchbox, for next time she goes to Libby's.

She's two and a half?

I feel so conflicted. On the one hand, I am stopping to appreciate what an awesome kid she is. On the other, I wonder if I have expected too much of her?

She's only two and a half.

6 comments:

  1. or you could look at it as less than 4 months till she is 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's just showing the smarts she got from two pretty smart parents. That and the fact that you raised her right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, she is also "almost three," but that's less impressive. :)

    She is a smart girl, I just had this fleeting moment where I wondered if my expectations were too high and I'm robbing her of her childhood, or something. Jeremy's response? Does she look unhappy to you?

    Good point. I guess she's just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy is a wonderful voice of reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. take a BRILLIANT child (I know I'm biased... but I'm also right...), and 2 awesome, genius parents with the right approach to parenting, and what do you get?

    a happy girl, who does what her parents ask *almost* always, and who knows how to change a 'no' to a 'yes' without getting into trouble...

    like I said... BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are biased, Gramber Kim, but I'll accept your assessment anyway.

    ReplyDelete