Friday, July 24, 2009

Science Day












Oobleck
Cornstarch + water. Approx. 1.5 cups cornstarch per 1 cup water. Add water slowly and mix. Oobleck should feel like a solid when settled and tun like a liquid when you touch it.


Color mixing
Freeze ice cubes with food coloring. Put two cubes in a tray and allow to melt.


Milky colors
Put milk in a saucer or bowl. Drop food coloring on to the milk. Put a drop or two of liquid dishwashing soap in the milk. Colors will swirl and mix.


Volcano
Put a small amount of vinegar in a cup (less than half a cup). Add food coloring. Put one spoonful of baking soda in the vinegar and watch the bubbles.

7 comments:

  1. So much fun! Wish we were there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in a way, you were... it was science lessons with Aunt Lois that gave me the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a ball. By the way, you may have noticed I have been pilfering your blogroll. Thanks for that.

    Does Sydney know any sci-fi yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sydney LOVES "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog"* which is comic-book sci-fi meets musical. It's really not the least bit appropriate (especially if you really listen to the words), but the "violence" is very mild, almost cartoony (and she mostly just listens to the soundtrack anyway) and it's one of those experiences the whole family loves. So, yes, she has some sci-fi exposure and I have walked by and heard her singing under her breath, "with my freeze ray I will stop the world."

    @ the blogroll... LOL I got mine started by pilfering yours!


    *I cannot express enough that I'm not advocating letting your toddler watch this show. I just listened to the soundtrack too often in the car to keep mine away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to tell Aunt Lois - she'd be happy to know that her influence is reaching all the way to Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please tell Aunt Lois thanks for the inspiration... I was running out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. brings back memories!

    silly putty can be made from elmer's glue and old-fashioned liquid starch .....

    ReplyDelete