Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Break -- Day at the Zoo

Cameron Park Zoo in Waco is just beautiful. It doesn't have as many animals as a big zoo like the one in Houston, but apparently that doesn't matter when this was Sydney's favorite exhibit:

What's that? You don't see any animals? Well, there are some lemurs in there somewhere, but it doesn't matter. It wasn't the lemurs that had her so enthralled. It was the water.

I actually asked Sydney what her favorite part of the trip to the zoo was and she told me, straight up, "looking at the water."

We spent about fifteen minutes here when we first got to the zoo. Then we circled back around and watched the water again. Then we found another vantage point from the other side and watched the water some more.

I mean, yes, we did see animals. Sydney liked the lions and tiger and elephants and giraffes. She also discovered the meerkats for the first time. She liked that they live in castles in the ground.

She was also very interested in going to the fish. I, being directionally challenged, kept having to look at these maps along the way to make sure we went to the aquarium. There are pictures of all the animals in the zoo along the side of the map with a number and then on the map it shows which number is where.Sydney caught on to the idea that they were maps and wanted to check the maps with me. Then she would say, "I wanna go see the fish." And I would say, "I don't know where they are." And she would point to the picture of the fish and say, "They're right here, mama."

Thanks, Sydney.

Sydney also enjoyed jumping in puddles. She was very happy to be wearing crocs. "Crocs are not shoes," she told me. "I can jump in puddles in crocs. But I can't jump in puddles with shoes."

I love that she is learning these things.

I also love how much she loved just sitting and looking at the water. I know adults who don't have the ability to sit still and just enjoy the peace of the moment, so I am so glad that Sydney already has that. My sweet girl.

2 comments:

  1. I love the last photo. It is just too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you went yesterday. it's so nice to go when it's not crowded and the animals are moving around!

    ReplyDelete