Sunday, March 28, 2010

Through the Looking Glass

I often wonder how Sydney will look back on her childhood. I work so hard to give her the things I think she would want, but so much of that is really based on what I would want and in order to want the same things I would want, she would not only have to be a mini-me, but she would have to have had the same childhood I had in the first place.

It's a major parenting conundrum, I'm sure. I know my mother wanted pretty clothes as a child. She wanted her mother to see her beauty. So she spent a lot of time and effort shopping for me and having grown up with a mother who has always said I am beautiful, I never saw the need for the beautiful clothes in the same way she did.

I wanted a more whimsical childhood. I remember playing all of these imaginative games as a little girl and no one else seemed to get them. So here I am trying to provide Sydney with the most imagination-rich environment I can think of and I wonder if the whole reason my imagination is so vivid is that I was making it all up on my own.

So will Sydney, as an adult, look back on her childhood with joy and wonder (as I hope), or will she think the whole thing was just too silly.

I hope she finds the joy. I really do. But I have to prepare myself for the possibility that she won't think it's all as charming as I do.

Because, of course, if I do my job right and put the silliness and whimsy in their proper place, she may not need quite so much of it later in life.

4 comments:

  1. Go for the whimsy and let her response tell you when it's enough for her. When she is older, life will become more serious. And Alice may never go through the looking glass again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I think whimsy is addictive like caffeine. She'll always need a substantial amount to feel okay in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering how much she is already like Jeremy, I suspect she might be a rather serious adult. But hopefully a piece of the whimsy and silliness will stick around in there. Regardless, a whimsical childhood with doses of silliness is not something I think one can ever really complain about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and it also just fun for us to read about, no matter what she takes out of it.

    ReplyDelete