I like to take Spring Break to "spring in" the backyard... cleaning flowerbeds, throwing out old and broken toys, putting everything back in order for the spring backyard play.
I found it fortuitous that Grandpa and Nana were here during Spring Break (well, they did ask me when they should come and I may have said that this was the most optimal time) to help with this process.
I normally just weed the pinwheel plot, but since Nana was here, the [fill in the blank name of the annuals that the previous owners planted years ago here] plot was also tended to.

Jeremy and his dad trimmed the hedges, and put up the shutters on the front of the house.

I spray painted. Which is, of course, what I like to do to make the backyard colorful and fun. Most of what I did last year was still just fine, but the top of the bird bath (where the water goes) had lost it's coat of blue, so I redid it.

Once we were done with Springing in the Backyard, it was time to play.

Sydney convinced her Grandpa to be the backyard taxi service.

Then she had so much fun playing tea party with Nana.

I enjoyed looking at all the newly painted furniture... the cabinet, the table and chairs (well, two of them are new, the other I did last year and just touched up) and shelf, which was a dingy white.

I repainted the rock garden which turned out just as beautiful spray painted as it did when I hand painted each rock, so there you go.

And of course, the new crop of pinwheels.
Annuals are plants that die after a year. The perennials (learn that word, because it gives you street cred with gardeners and means plants that come back each year) are irises, by the look of the foliage. You can get away with calling anything a perennial by just saying, in response to the shocked objection, "I thought ____s were annuals!" "Well, in my garden they are perennials." People will be impressed and think you are very lucky to have very good soil and other optimal growing conditions.
ReplyDeleteI thought you would be able to identify my mystery flowers, Summer. Thanks for the lesson in perennials!
ReplyDelete