Saturday, March 26, 2011

Yarning

Every since I started crocheting, Sydney has been asking to be taught how to "yarn." I hate to tell her I cannot teach her something, but there is simply of fine-motor development that one has to have in order to crochet and four year olds are not there, yet.

So I came to conclusion that we would make potholders together. Today was our first attempt.

Sydney was able to lay out the first set of loops, the warp.

The weft loops, the ones that have to go over and under, she was able to do with me holding the warps up or down as needed. I was really impressed by how much of the project she was able to do.

I crocheted the ends together, rather than inserting each loop into the next so that I could have a flatter, easier to work with square. Just in case there is a larger project at work here. Just in case.

But for today, the finished product was an animal picnic blanket.

And Sydney wants to make another one tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I like the picnic blanket, and I love that you found a way to let Sydney participate in handcrafts.

    ReplyDelete