Thursday, June 18, 2009

Baby Book

Back before Sydney was born, I went looking for baby books. At that time, I didn't realize that Walgreens has the option to do photobooks, which is what I wound up using to really chronicle her first year. As I looked through all of the books which had places for family trees (I could do that), letters to unborn children (probably I would have done that, but if you forget to do that before the baby is born, is it cheating to do it later), and pages to document the date that each tooth comes in (who has that information, really), I was completely overwhelmed.

I finally settled on a book called "Baby's Firsts" that had pages like "first holiday" and "first bath" and "first steps." Those seemed like dates and events I could keep up with, so that's the baby book I bought.

On the very first page, the book has blanks for baby's name, date of birth, and date of completion. Yes, the baby book is forcing me to own up to the fact that I completed it today, June 18, 2009. Not only that, it makes me write that date right below Sydney's birth date, November 2, 2006.

I think if I had realized the book was going to make me look bad, I might not have bought it.

3 comments:

  1. ah yes, nothing is complete in modern life until the guilt sets in. and parenting is rife with opportunities to feel guilty!

    you do a better job 'documenting' on your children than anyone i have ever known, and you do it without coming across as obsessive. compared to you, i was a total slacker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. White it out! Just claim you got the baby book "dicounted" for it's imperfections.... they will never suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you bought it and completed it, which is probably more than at 80% of other parents do.

    ReplyDelete