Friday, June 12, 2009

Children's Museum

Today was our biggest adventure, yet. Trying to go downtown to the Children's Museum (the farthest we had been away from the house) and then out to eat (which would involve walking a couple of blocks in downtown without either child being run over by a bus).

To make this adventure more fun (and to better the child to adult ratios), I invited Kara and Peter Hazen to join us.

It worked out really nicely to have another adult around. Kara's attention, of course, was primarily on Peter, but she was able to somewhat watch out for Sydney as well, especially during those moments when I was distracted by Jack.

Sydney enjoyed her time at the museum. She made tamales...

played the drums...

made music...

... and did some arts and crafts.

I was so glad that we made it out to the Children's Museum (and then out to eat at the Spaghetti Warehouse). Someone was pointing out to me that this summer is the easy summer. Next summer, Sydney will be three and Jack will be twelve months old. That means that she will still need a fair amount of supervision while he needs someone to chase after him at all times. This summer, I am still free to focus on a craft project, or a musical performance for her because her brother is asleep in the carrier. Next summer, well, we'll see. I never would have believed that I would be at the Children's Museum less than a month after having a c-section, so I guess I shouldn't try to predict what I will and won't be able to do next summer.

But I do know this: I sure didn't appreciate how easy last summer was until now and I didn't appreciate how easy the summer when Sydney wasn't even walking was until the summer she was running all over the place, so I am determined to appreciate this summer because you never know what next summer will bring.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! I like the appreciating now idea. I'm glad you are doing so much this summer. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got it right... infants are SO much easier than toddlers! i'm in awe of you doing so much so soon after Jack's birth. rock on!

    ReplyDelete