Today our adventure was a trip to Blue Hole, which is really just a small portion of the San Gabriel that is dammed off. I chose this spot because 1) there are lots of rocks and 2) Sydney can walk right up to the water, which means there is no drop-off and if she did fall into the water (which she didn't), she could stand right up.
She spent an hour and a half playing with the rocks. She conducted experiments in what size rocks made what kind of splash, how far away from the water she could stand and still make the throw, different ways of throwing and how to get the best throw, throwing handfuls of small rocks, throwing single large rocks, and probably other things that I just wasn't astute enough to see what she was doing.
The only "toy" we brought with us was this pink bucket for collecting rocks. I was really amazed by how long she stayed occupied on this outing. I guess the simple things really are the best sometimes.Side story: We actually played for 45 minutes, took a half hour break and then came back for another 45 minutes. The reason for the break? I had parked on the curb near the entrance to the park, in a spot that was so near a fire hydrant that I thought it must be a fire zone, but the curb was clearly not painted red (although the curbs on either side of that one spot were), so I parked there. After we had been playing for that first 45 minutes, a man from the city came out and asked if that was my car and could I move it. He and his crew were there to work on the curb right where I had parked: it was supposed to be painted red because it was a fire zone.
And since I had to go to all the trouble of loading the kids back into the car and that woke Jack up, I drove around for a while (and went home to get the camera) before returning to throw rocks some more.
I'm so glad you went and let Sydney throw rocks. I bet she had a blast, and I wish I could have been there to see it!
ReplyDeleteSo very glad for the return trip for the camera. Throwing rock pictures are sure to be a classic.
ReplyDeletewhat fun! just rocks and water... I love how that's all she needed to have a great time
ReplyDelete