Sunday, May 23, 2010

From Pirates to Princesses

Sydney's friend Ava came over today to play. Since the weather, although somewhat hot, was no where near as hot as it's going to be getting in the coming month, we decided to take advantage of what precious outdoor time we have left and we spent most of the time in the backyard.

The girls played extremely well with each other. I loved listening to their imaginations at work. They were both pirates on Sydney's little climber and addressed each other as "Pirate Sydney" and "Pirate Ava."

After giving up piracy, the girls tried their hand at some cooking.

I did have to direct them to take turns when I saw that both wanted to be at the mixer, but as soon as they understood that the other could be in charge of pouring in more mud, both girls were pleased to share.

They then decided to drive around a bit. Unfortunately, they kept running out of gas, but no worries, because not only do we have a gas pump in the backyard, both little ladies knew exactly how to use it.

Sydney tried to interest Ava in a tea party, but once Ava understood that Sydney's idea of a tea party is drinking somewhat muddy water, she quite reasonably declined.

After all the backyard fun, the girls came in for a real snack. While I was getting the snack ready, Ava found Sydney's magic wand which Ava decided was a princess wand and the two little princesses soon settled in the new breakfast area to snack and chat. I sat in the living room just listening to their dialogue -- so cute and so like two little old ladies.

"Ava - do you have a Jack at your house?"

"No."

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"I am the sister."

"But do you have a baby sister?"

"No. I am the baby sister. When I was born, Andrew was six."

"Oh. Do you have any cats or dogs."

"Um, I have thirty cats. I had a dog. But she died."

"Hmmm. Do you like pickles?"



Forget playing video games or watching TV. I think Sydney and Ava are great home entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment