Monday, May 3, 2010

Pick Your Poison

I love, love, love this conversation that Kara recounted for me.

Kara's father in law was in town and enjoying a cup of coffee this morning.

Kara's son Peter walked over and asked about his grandpa's morning beverage.

"It's coffee," Grandpa explained.

Peter said he wanted some.

Grandpa said, "You can have coffee when you are thirty."

Peter pondered this for a moment, and then said, "But Sydney drinks coffee."

I laughed, laughed, laughed when Kara told me that. I told Kara it was her golden opportunity to teach her son that different families have different rules. She said that's exactly what she did and Peter seemed completely mollified when he understood that Sydney can indeed have coffee, but she still isn't allowed chicken nuggets.

And funnily enough, Peter would so rather chicken nuggets to coffee and Sydney would rather the coffee.

So I guess it works out well.

2 comments:

  1. a great teachable moment!
    but I'm with Sydney... coffee is great, chicken nuggets aren't so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. What's wrong with chicken nuggets?

    ReplyDelete