Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy 4th Birthday

Happy 4th Birthday, Sydney!


We have reached a new stage of development -- the ability to anticipate! I have never seen Sydney as wound up as she was last night. "It's my birthday tomorrow!!!!" she kept saying over and over and over again. In her enthusiasm, she kept herself up well past her bedtime, with antics like the bedtime picnic.

Even after getting her into pajamas, she suddenly announced that since she is (or would very soon be) four, she should know how to read. Surprisingly, this bedtime avoidance technique works surprisingly well at our house and an easy reader was found and read.

This morning, the morning of her birthday, she was understandably exhausted, but perked right up when she realized anew what day it was. Her excitement was cut short when she understood that despite it being her birthday, she still had to got to daycare.

I assuaged the pain of not having the world stop for the anniversary of her birth by stopping to get donuts on the way to school and reminding her that she had cupcakes to share with the class. I also told her I would pick her up early.

So after we both got through our days, I went to pick Sydney up at three.

We went to Starbucks and each got our own iced mochas and then I told Sydney we could go pretty much anywhere she wanted.

So of course she said she wanted to go to my school.

Since I was there just for her, I opted to play instead of working, and we made a really cool little town scene on one of my tables.

After playing for a couple of hours, we went and got the guys and went out to eat at the restaurant of Jeremy's choosing, which wound up being Texas Land and Cattle. Sydney was not thrilled that she didn't get to pick the restaurant, but we explained it's part of sharing a birthday with her dad.

Which is something pretty special.

And besides, she gets to pick the restaurant on Saturday, the day of her party.

1 comment: