Monday, November 1, 2010

Take Your Daughter to School Day

We have been so busy with Halloween, that I haven't had a chance to blog about last Friday.

It was a Halloween parade at my school and because of the parade... and the magic show that followed... and the Fall Cook-Out... and the general excitement of the holiday, it was one of those fun days where a lot of memories are made, but very little academics are happening.

Because of all of that, I took the opportunity to bring Sydney with me to school. She hated the parade. It was just too long. She wasn't a big fan of the magic show. It was too much sitting still. But she loved, loved, loved recess and lunch.

She also did the one main seat work activity that we did -- adding a poem to the poetry folder. She took her time coloring the sheet like the big kids did and I thought she did a very nice job.

It was so much fun having Sydney up at school with me. The students were so very sweet to her. One boy in particular kept a watch over her. When I had told the students my daughter was coming the next day and that she is not quite four, many of the students chimed in that they had siblings who are three or four. This little fellow said, "And I used to be four!" Then when Sydney came, he played with her at recess and when she tried to join a football game, he said, "I do not even think you are going over there! Those boys will be too rough with you!" It was neat to see my students being such caregivers.

I had to go ahead and mention all of this because when I asked Sydney what she wanted to do for her birthday, she said, "I want to go to your school and play."

So guess where we'll be tomorrow!

(But probably not until the other kids leave this time -- I can only justify bringing Sydney to school during school hours on really special days, and her birthday might be really special to her, but to the rest of the world, it's a normal school day.)

1 comment:

  1. You have such a cool school! It's the kind of fun we had when we were kids, but I thought most public schools had left fun behind. I'm glad she gets to go there next year (or the following? I don't remember how the age thing works.) Also plus too, Happy Birthday, Sydney!

    ReplyDelete