Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Evening with Sara

With Jeremy busy celebrating his birthday, I was single-momming it today (more on that later).

This would have been far easier if it hadn't been Bunco night and if I hadn't RSVP'd for a district shindig a while back, not thinking that Jeremy would not be available to watch the kids.

I went to my assistant principal yesterday and told her my predicament (about the district shindig, not the Bunco -- that was much less her concern) and asked if she would watch the kids so I could go represent my school.

Instead, she asked how much the sitter cost and then produced exact change.

So having financial backing, I made plans with my current teen sitter (I usually only have one) and had her and the kids to the house by 4:45 this afternoon.  I bathed the kids while Sara got everything plates together and was at the dinner party by 5:15, fashionably late as they say.

(At this point I have to interject that I had this awesome moment going into the party.  An older gentleman got out of his car just behind me and we were walking in together.  He made small talk, asking my name and giving me his.  I mentioned that I was a teacher in town.  He asked how long I had been in the district (five years, by the way).  Since this event was for local businesses as well as educators and he still hadn't given me much indication of who he was, I asked how he was involved in the event.  He said, and I quote, "I'm the mayor."  Followed shortly by, "And I was the interim superintendent of schools five years ago."  I stopped, looked at him and said the only thing I could think of.  "I guess I should have known that.  I'm sorry."  He smiled and made it be okay and when we got inside and there was a table of name tags, I handed his to him.)

So having gone to the trouble of getting a sitter for the shindig, I went ahead and kept her for Bunco.  Happily, I won at Bunco, getting almost the balance of the babysitting cost.

While I was out, I asked Sara to get some pictures of the kids playing.  They mostly did arts and crafts and played board games... lots of fun for Sydney and Jack.  And truthfully, for Sara, too, which is why I love having her over to watch the kids.
 
 
 
I remember when I was a sitter thinking how cool it would be to have kids and get to play with them the way you do as a sitter.  I feel so lucky to have the kind of husband who takes care of things around the house such that I usually do get to play just like Sara did this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment