Monday, November 14, 2011

Turkey Build 2011

Saturday, after Sydney's party, we had the annual "Count Your Blessings Potluck and Turkey Build" up at the church.
John and Sydney painted feathers.  John painted his many times -- you will not see this lime green anywhere on the turkey -- it was covered by the dark green and then the blue.
There were some rough moments this year... some ruffled feathers.  I wanted to take my time and help the children create a beautiful masterpiece.  Jeremy wanted to complete the activity before tired children melted down completely.  He rushed me.  The rush ruined the turkey's face.  The turkey's ruined face broke my heart a little.  My broken heart made my husband sad.  He said he was sorry.  I believed him.  I "fixed" the face.  He said it looks wonderful.  I sort of believe him.
Sydney was in charge of the body.  I helped her make the hearts.  She did the polka dots on her own.
I thought to myself that it seemed so... ironic? inappropriate? natural? that we should have this disharmony during an activity designed to bring families together.  Jeremy and I talked later and decided that we were in the same place, but in opposite ways.
I did the turkey face.  Twice.
See, I love the Turkey Build because it was the last thing I remember doing before we got that phone call about James two years ago.

Jeremy hates the Turkey Build because it was the last thing he remembers doing before we got that phone call about James two years ago.

The same place, but opposite reactions.

And, of course, I am reacting to the loss of my brother-in-law, someone I knew for a decade and loved dearly.  But Jeremy is reacting to the loss of someone he had known since birth, the loss of a third of the "Nolen boys," the loss of a brother.

We talked about how maybe next year, Jeremy could excuse himself from this particular "family" event.  I really wanted him to feel that he could.

Of course, then we went to Sunday school and heard four other families talk about minor spats during the Turkey Build.

So maybe we are not so unique.  Maybe it isn't grief that makes this hard.
Proof that bored children will not stay bored for long.
Maybe having paint, small children, nails, creative mothers and busy fathers all in one room just makes everyone a little crazy.

Maybe the point of the Turkey Build is to turn up the heat on the family, so that you can see what happens when all that had been simmering for the last year comes to a boil.

Maybe it takes a little disharmony to appreciate the blessings.

Maybe the Turkey Build is like one of those "team building" activities.  Do you trust me?  Do you trust me with paint?  Do you trust me with a hammer?  Do you trust me now?

Maybe that's the real point of the activity.
Turkey Build 2011
This year we were thankful for: Friends, Daily Bread, My sister, My brother, My spouse, God, My children, My name being John, My parents, and Flowers.
You will never guess which ones the children came up with.
I'm mostly just thankful for this family I love and the time to spend with them.... ruffled feathers and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment