I think technically she was asking to make them for dinner, as in that very night, but Jeremy put her off, pointing out that they needed many special ingredients that would require a trip to the grocery store.
A few days later, Jeremy made it to the store, and that night, he and Sydney started making the tamales. Sydney surprised us both when, after Jeremy spooned the masa onto the corn husk, Sydney used the heel of her hand to flatten it out, just like Alton Brown said to.
After a lot of assembly, the tamales were finally ready to be cooked. When they were finished, Sydney was not interested in actually eating the tamales she helped to make, but Jeremy and I thought they were delicious.
The next night, Jeremy got to go and meet Alton Brown. I had gotten him tickets for the Q&A and book signing for his birthday. Jeremy had Alton sign the book to the family, as Sydney is becoming quite the fan herself.
I know that Sydney has taken her interest in cars and watching Top Gear from Jeremy. It was interesting to see her take her cooking hobby into an interest in Jeremy's favorite cooking show. As I'm blogging this, the two of them are watching tonight's episode and discussing the merits of different kinds of oats (two of which we apparently have in the pantry right now).Can anyone say "Daddy's Girl"?
I have made tamales and they are quite work intensive. I'm impressed that ya'll made them. It amazes me that people who sell them charge so little in the grand scheme of things.
ReplyDeleteI think they were too prep intensive for a normal dinner, but took up just the right amount of time for father-daughter bonding.
ReplyDelete