Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

When we woke up Christmas Eve, I took the kids to the Wesleyan Nursing Home for their Christmas carol sing-a-long.

Sydney got to sing "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" in front of everyone. The activities director, Kim, found Sydney to be very charming and at one point let Sydney go on an errand with her to pick up another resident from her room.

After the Wesleyan, we went to the park to meet up with Andrew. We exchanged gifts at the park, but after giving gifts and chatting a bit, Helen and I both realized that 1) Sydney and Andrew needed more than an hour of park time to celebrate the season together and 2) we were both planning small family meals at home later that evening and we could easily combine our Christmas Eve dinners into a larger two family event.

Someone has convinced Helen that blogging is a good idea, so I expect to see this picture from a different angle floating around the 'net very soon....

After the park, we went home for naps and down time, then it was off to church for the Christmas Eve service.

I have to say that I love our Children's and Family Ministries Director and the way that she translates adult spiritual concepts and ideas into child-friendly concrete experiences. And I love, love, love the way she does it with more than a touch of whimsy.

After all, what says "Children's service" like a duplo cross and a alphablock Advent wreath?

And though it's hard to see in the picture, that's a "Happy Birthday Jesus" banner there. The entire service was set up like a birthday party and the kids got to open some gifts for Jesus -- including the donkey (represented by a stuffed counterpart) that carried His mother and a baby blanket to keep Him warm. Sydney opened the baby blanket and it made her so happy to be part of the service in that way.

Sydney and I also served communion, which gave us the opportunity to talk about the Lord's Supper in depth enough that I felt ready to let her partake. So Sydney had her first communion this Christmas Eve.

After the church service, we went over to Andrew's house. Jeremy brought the pot roast we were planning on having and Andrew's dad and grandpa provided the ribs and baked beans they were planning on.

Once we got home, Sydney got to lay on our bed and watch The Toy That Saved Christmas Veggie Tale movie on repeat until she fell asleep.

While she was doing that, I was getting Christmas morning ready.

Only one gift left under the Advent tree. What could it be?

Here's our Nativity set. I think there's an important piece missing, though? (And also a wayward shepherd, but it's Baby Jesus in the 25th box.)

I lined up all of the kid's Christmas books on the window ledge. Then I got out Sydney's big Christmas gift... a Calico Critter's dollhouse. I had gotten it off of Ebay last January and it's been sitting in the garage ever since. I also got some of my old Mable Town and Sylvanian Families furniture from the attic and put it in the house.

I hope Sydney likes it.

1 comment:

  1. 1.I want to go to that park. It's so cool! There aren't any seesaws in this state. 2. Congratulations on Sydney's first communion. 3. What a pretty dollhouse. Pip loves his as well, though it's 1/4 that size. 4. I like how you arranged the shelves in the playroom to make a nook. We love nooks here.

    ReplyDelete