Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cars 2

On Tuesday, we took advantage of The Alamo Drafthouse baby day showing to see Cars 2. Sydney and Jack both love the first one and it seemed like a good idea to go see the second.

We went with Kelly and both of her kids... her daughter Azlyn is still only a little baby and stayed in the Moby Wrap pretty much the whole time. Jack and her Jaxon are about the same age and let's be honest, spent most of the movie running up and down isles.

Once again, I am so glad it was the baby day showing. Cars 2 was a cute movie. There was some disjointed-ness in the plot line that left me having to contemplate what was going on and the biggest appeal was the "Cars" take on a James Bond spy thriller. Doesn't that sound like a good kids' movie?

Well, the colors were bright and shiny, there were cars, as promised, and the two year olds held up admirably to the way over their heads storyline. Even Sydney thought it was boring at many points, and I have to say, if I were four, I would have agreed with her.

But since it was, as always, the experience that I was going for and not necessarily looking for The Best Thing Ever, I was so glad we went.

The Alamo is a neat theater. Baby Day is a great place to learn theater etiquette. (In fact, on the screen when they have written "no talking," they add, "anyone who cannot read this cannot be expected to follow this rule" or something like that.) The $5 milkshake was worth every dime and some day, when they are older, they will like this movie, and then they will think it was neat that they got to see it in theaters.

And also, I have this new theory that media defines a generation better than almost anything else. I do mean all media, but for the moment, think of movies. Did you see E.T. in theaters? Did you see Star Wars? Sound of Music? Snow White? What about Beauty and the Beast? My kids have seen Tangled and Cars 2 together and Sydney has also seen Toy Story 3. Those are the movies of their generation. I might think Beauty and the Beast is a better movie, Belle a better heroine, the music better quality, and for all of those reasons, I have introduced Sydney to the movie. But she still is part of this current generation, and I want her to at least see the movies that her friends will be talking about later.

No comments:

Post a Comment