Friday, July 29, 2011

Music Camp

Sydney has spent all week at Music Camp at church, learning songs for a Friday performance. It's been hard work and she has come home exhausted everyday.

(David got 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 little stones from the stream)

I was really impressed not only with the speed in which she learned the songs, but also the crafts that they came home with every day (proof that they did something other than sing), and her understanding of the story of David and Goliath.

(David killed a lion with his sling... grrr!)

The main point that the camp and the performance were going for is that with God, we don't have to be afraid. Sydney really seemed to understand that. Today, for example, when we left her Rapunzel doll in the car while we ran into my school to get something, Sydney told Rapunzel, "If you get afraid in the car, pray to God and he will keep you safe."

Then Sydney said her own prayer to God about keeping us safe and thanking God for her family.

I knew without a doubt that she would get something out of Music Camp. I expected it to be having a fun time, or learning a song, or making friends. I hoped it would be an enjoyment of performance or an appreciation of acting or singing and the hard work it takes to do either well. I did not realize she might grow in her faith. I guess I thought she was too young for that.

I am so glad the ladies in charge of Music Camp knew better than I did.

The final song gives that message and it was also the song that Sydney sang the best. I apologize for the shaky camera hand... it was the last song of the performance and her brother was getting restless on my lap.



I so enjoyed watching her perform this, and I am proud of how hard she worked. I know it was a real challenge for her to stay focused long enough to not only learn the songs, but complete the performance and I'm pleased that she persevered to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment