Thursday, July 7, 2011

Museum Thursday: The Austin Museum of Art

Today we went to the Austin Museum of Art.

We went here last year with Mrs. Edwards, Mrs. Coggin and Ben, so we had an idea of what to expect. After becoming very clear on the "no touching" rule, we wandered the Herman Miller exhibit and saw the Mona Lisa project. Then we went into the Family Lab, the real reason for coming to the museum.

I have to say, I was very impressed because the Family Lab was completely different from the last time we visited. Furthermore, it had been redesigned to fit in with the exhibit currently showcased: Herman Miller. There was a wall of different sized, shaped, and textured cushions and then three different wooden chairs with velcro to attach the cushions to, enabling little hands and minds to grasp the basic of ergonomic design.

After constructing the perfect chair, Sydney was able to sit and enjoy the art books that we had seen last time.

They also had a marker and stamp station in the middle, with fold-able paper chairs to design. Sydney chose mostly pinks for hers, so it didn't photograph well, but it was a lot of fun to make.

After leaving the museum, we stopped to look at this sculpture which was across the street from the museum (and next to our awesome $2 parking spot).

I know that in a lot of ways, just going to the Children's Museum would be more fun for the kids. We only spent an hour at the art museum and I know they can get three or more hours out of the Children's Museum, or the zoo for that matter.

But I find myself drawn to art (ha! drawn to art) without the background to appreciate it or even understand and talk about it. I want Sydney and Jack to have childhood experiences that make them more open to new things, to empower them to feel like experts at a young age. So that when they are older and making choices about their adult lives, they feel the freedom of endless possibilities.


Besides. Life is art, with God holding the brush, and I want my kids to see the beauty of that, as well... to see the masterpieces that they themselves are!

No comments:

Post a Comment