Monday, June 27, 2011

Day Trip: Houston

Our original Houston trip was cut short by Jack's illness and I was really bummed about missing out on the additional two days with my family, so I decided to have an incredibly long day and put the kids in the car at five in the morning and didn't put them back into their own beds until just after midnight so that we could have another day.

The bay was lovely. I know it's Galveston and there are prettier beaches in the world, but none of them are within day trip distance and none of them have Uncle Mark and Aunt Kathi.

While Aunt Dani was running Myles to his training commitment across town, Uncle Mark and Aunt Kathi played with Sydney and Jack for just over two hours on the bay. It was just a really special quiet bonding. Then, as an added bonus, Uncle Mark taught Sydney how to fly a kite. I remember my Uncle Fritz teaching me how to fly a kite long ago. It must be an uncle thing.

After the bay, we went back to Aunt Dani's house and met up with Dani and Myles and then we all went out to lunch. It was a short visit, but a very, very nice one.

In the middle of the day, we drove across town. The kids napped in the car, and when they woke up, we were at Aunt Jennie Sue's house. Sydney got to play with Alana one more time, which was worth the trip for her right there.

Sydney and Jack also got to play with David and Noah and the other Langs. In the evening, Aunt Suzanne and Uncle Dave came over with Zoe and we got to see them again, too.

The evening ended as so many of our Lang evenings do, with the adults playing cards. We then drove back home.

I know it was a lot of time in the car and a somewhat absurd gas expenditure for such a whirlwind visit, but we had so much fun and saw so many important people, that I felt it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment