Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In Search of Pie

This is why I love Summer. (Well, not the only reason, but other than her ability to listen and show support across like a dozen states, this is one of the big ones.)

Who else would see a cardboard stand up of John Wayne and strike a picture-worthy pose without any provocation? Well, me. But that's why we work well together.

We met the Duke at the Dahlia Cafe in Liberty Hill. We had decided to go there to get yummy pie and meet up with the Fords. Summer, Andrew, Paul, Jenny and I were all at Southwestern at the same time and were in a service fraternity called Alpha Phi Omega. Summer was Jenny's "grand-big" or the APO "big sister" of Jenny's "big sister." Paul and Andrew bonded over a summer trip the Boy Scout camp Philmont and a friendly rivalry over Mac vs. Linux.

We chose the Dahlia Cafe in part because of the pie, but also because of all of the pie places around Austin, it's the one with a playground for the kids. The moms and the dads took turns being outside with the little ones or indoors with the food.

And the food was delicious! Well, for most of us. I felt badly for Summer because one or more the dishes contained soy and she is allergic to soy, but I know she has become accustomed to the trials of having such a common food allergy and was very gracious about the whole thing. Which was nice, because I'm the one who picked the restaurant and I could have felt a whole lot worse if she hadn't been so nice about how it's just life with allergies.

After dinner, we all just stood around the playground and let the kids play until it was dark and time for bed.

Well, it was time for bed for all of the kids but Sydney. Sydney got in a nice car nap on our way to the restaurant.

Thanks to Mrs. Ford.

We will be missing Summer and Andrew and family for the next couple of days as they will be with her family, but we have concocted a Friday gathering since I will have staff development when they come back this way and will only get a day and an evening with them. So stay tuned as the blog warp continues!

3 comments:

  1. You were profoundly thoughtful of us in choosing the restaurant, and I am grateful to have such a considerate friend. I'm sorry I got soyed as well, but it was totally not your fault. And we were headed to Target anyway, so I bought Tums and slept well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that the Tums fixed you up. Jeremy and his mom have a variety of foods to avoid, so I really do understand how one meal can ruin your day/night. Looking forward to Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last pic of Sydney.

    ReplyDelete