What's the use of living in a beautiful old town if you don't get out and enjoy it every now and then, right?So today was Georgetown Day. We started at Blue Hole, which is a portion of the San Gabriel river dammed up. Sydney's buddy Andrew joined us and his dad even brought some fishing rods to try out.
Sydney thought the reeling in experience was a lot of fun. Neither she nor Andrew caught any fish, but then again, as Andrew's dad pointed out, the fish in Blue Hole are the sort of little fish that you usually use as bait to catch real fish, so no loss there.
After Blue Hole, we ate breakfast at Monument Cafe, one of the best local places to eat. At that point, Andrew and his dad went home and Sydney and Jack and I walked around the downtown square.
In order to get Sydney sold on the idea of walking through multiple antique and handcrafted shops, I had to start with the used bookstore and then head for the sweet shop. A new old book and bag of jelly beans later, Sydney was as happy as, well, as a kid in a candy shop.
As we walked along the square, I noticed that the Williamson County Museum was open (and free), so we wandered in. Sydney enjoyed looking for mysteries in the museum. We found some pioneer dress up clothes, a millstone, some maps, and some paper dolls from the 20's. The real mystery was a hole in the ground, covered by Plexiglas. Unfortunately the museum employee disappeared so we were unable to solve the Museum Mystery, but I suspect if we go back another day, it will all come clear.
Sydney survived the shopping, thanks in large part to one of the local shop owners planning ahead for bored little girls and having a table with Duplos in the middle of the children's handcrafted goods section.Once again, I am grateful that we have chosen to settle in a town that Sydney will be able to have all of these hometown memories of.
I wonder what she would have done if she had caught a fish. It looks like she did have a lot of fun.
ReplyDelete