Monday, July 19, 2010

Town Day

Today, I decided that the kids would make a town. To prepare for this, I had been collecting boxes all summer. I wrapped all the boxes in brown parcel paper and made some signs on the computer to go with the buildings.

When Abigail, Emelia and Sean arrived, we started by painting the boxes. We used water colors so that the boxes would dry faster, but poster paint would have been better.

Then the kids colored their signs and glued the signs and doors and windows (pre-cut construction paper rectangles and squares) on their buildings.

After all of the buildings were constructed, we covered the table in more brown paper, I drew roads and made the lake and Emelia (who as the oldest had the longest attention span and excitement level for this project) helped to do grass as her mother made the traffic lights from bendy straws and playdough.

Then we added some little people and other details and the kids got to play with their creation.

Well, at least until the dinosaur attack.

Followed by the arrival of the giant baby.

"Buzz Lightyear reporting in. I am in a defensive position behind the library. There is a giant baby walking down Main Street. I repeat, a giant baby walking down Main Street.... Yes, yes, we know about the dinosaur and the stuffed cheetah, but I am telling you, our focus needs to be the giant baby. Wait. Wait. I think he sees me. I'm going to try to make a run for the hospital. I see a giant ball over there and I think it might be his."

Yes. Once again, I had more fun than the kids.

5 comments:

  1. Just took the boys to see TS3 this weekend, which makes this post so funny for me. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should clarify, it is Buzz's comment at the end that is funny, not the project itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't know. The whole project was kind of funny. :)

    Did you guys enjoy the new Toy Story? Sydney and I loved it. Well, except for the scary parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we all loved it. I was hesitant about taking them because of the scary daycare theme, but I am glad I went with it. I’ve never been one to enjoy a lot of Disney movies, but I saw TS 1 in high school, so I felt good about seeing this one. I cried, of course! Tanner was not so crazy about the scary fire part at the end, but everything else was okay with him. Tyson was quick to point out that his class at daycare is like the Butterfly Room and Tanner’s is more like the Caterpillar Room.

    ReplyDelete