Norman Rockwell could have lived here.I would consider this picture over the top Americana except that this is actually where we live. Georgetown is this hometown of a home town. I love it. It's moments like this, the family all in red, white, and blue standing next to the gazebo decked to the nines in flags and banners that make me love where we live.
Some Confusion over SocksThere was a booth selling parasols and I absolutely positively had to have one. Ahem. I mean, Sydney wanted one. Ahem. I mean, no who am I kidding. I wanted one. I have always wanted a parasol.
Why, you ask? Well, it's because in The Sound of Music, the seven year old daughter tells Maria that her birthday is coming up and she wants _______. For the longest time, I thought that blank was her saying, "I want a pink pair of socks." Finally, one day I asked my dad why she wanted socks for her birthday and he explained the concept of a parasol. Ever since then, I wanted a parasol. And now I have one. Ahem. Sydney has one.
Why, you ask? Well, it's because in The Sound of Music, the seven year old daughter tells Maria that her birthday is coming up and she wants _______. For the longest time, I thought that blank was her saying, "I want a pink pair of socks." Finally, one day I asked my dad why she wanted socks for her birthday and he explained the concept of a parasol. Ever since then, I wanted a parasol. And now I have one. Ahem. Sydney has one.
Best Cup of Lemonade in TownThis is the Alex Lemonade Stand. It's a fund raiser for childhood cancer research and this particular stand is run by a student from my school and her family. Ishani and her family started doing lemonade stands during Ishani's kindergarten year. I find that little girl's strength amazing, so whenever they are doing a lemonade stand, we have to stop and buy a cup.
Meat GoodJeremy loves carny food. I don't get it. A turkey leg is a treat? I don't even know what a year-o is and funnel cakes may be the most disgusting sweet ever. But he was so happy to be eating like a caveman at the Fourth of July festival that I had to include the picture. After all, I got a parasol.
But, Bill, a parade sounds expensiveNaw, Joe, I got an idea, we'll get kids to do it!
I don't really get the parade. It was all kids with their bicycles and wagons and powerwheels all decked out. Was there an ad somewhere I missed? Did they recruit from local daycares? Is there a prize? It was possibly the most random thing ever.
FlashbackTwo years ago, Sydney loved, loved, loved this ride. It was kind of neat that they had it again this year. And it was just as much fun.
Best BuddiesThis is Sydney's friend, Andrew. He's six months older than Sydney, which really just means that he'll start Kindergarten a year ahead of Sydney, but they are best buddies. Their temperaments complement each other so well.
Who's Driving This Thing?Sydney and Andrew got to ride a few rides together and do the bounce house before Sydney and Jack both were just too hot and tired. So we said a temporary good-bye and headed home to rest and refresh for the evening's fireworks show.
Newsgirl HatWell, it's obviously not a newsboy hat. She's a girl. We met back up with Andrew after naps and dinner. There is a big fireworks show at the park where all of the rides and booths were, but it's a nightmare getting out of there after the show, so we decided to come to this smaller park which still had a decent view of the fireworks with significantly less traffic.
She's Like a Boy Scout, Only BetterI love Andrew's mom, Helen. She always brings snacks and drinks for Andrew with enough extra for Sydney and even Jack. Today, she also brought insect spray, glow sticks and a ball for Jack to play with. At one point, Jack was just following her around wherever she went because every time he turned around she had pulled something else neat (and possibly edible) from her bag.


I am happy that you, ahem, Sydney got a parasol. Happy Independence Day!
ReplyDelete