Friday, July 16, 2010

Take Your Daughter to Work Day

Today was "take your daughter to work" day. Well, officially, that day was April 22, but we missed it, so today it was.

I remember when this program started and President Clinton took Chelsea with him to the white house when I was in high school. Back then, it really was "take your daughter to work" and only later was the program expanded to include boys.

At our house, it starts as "take your daughter to work" and will expand when Jack is around the age Sydney is now.
Sydney was offered a couple of different dresses to wear today, but she said that she wouldn't wear a dress to work and so I helped her pick out an outfit that would look like something her daddy wears to work every day. She also packed a "briefcase" of things to help keep her busy when her daddy actually needed to work.

Apparently one of the things that all work places must have is a white board. It's Sydney's favorite thing to do when she is up at my school and she loved, loved, loved drawing on the white board at Dell, as well.

Jeremy got to show Sydney his cubical and she got out her briefcase of entertainment... some dinosaurs and her Leapster (which alone can keep her occupied for thirty minutes or more).

For some reason that I do not fully understand, one of Jeremy's co-workers had these boxing gloves in her cube and (this I do understand) thought a visiting three year old would be the perfect excuse to get them out.

Sydney also tried out her dad's laptop and headset. She tried calling me, but without a Sydney to entertain, I went down with Jack for his morning nap and slept through the business call.

Sydney and Jeremy both had a great day today. Jeremy said that Sydney was very well behaved and that many of his coworkers commented on her manners. Several female coworkers stopped to admire her socks and Sydney walked out with a flashlight from one coworker, having eaten a lollipop provided by another. The only rough patch of the day was an incident with a filing cabinet that resulted in the rule "no running" but even those tears were short lived and easily fixed with a daddy hug.

Sydney had been wanting to go to work with her daddy for a long time, so I am so glad that Jeremy was able to do this with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment