I know a lot of folks who have been married a lot longer than that, but I also know a lot of folks who didn't have even this long. I also know, seven years into this, that marrying Jeremy was the best decision I ever made.
So for our anniversary, Jeremy and I went out on a date to see Inception, a really mind-blowing movie that we both enjoyed. While we were out on our date, our neighbor Allie (whose older sister Angie watched the kids until she went off to college) came over to watch Sydney and Jack.
The last time Allie came over, it was to watch Jack so that we could take Sydney to see Toy Story 3. At that time, Sydney was very upset in the car driving to the movie theater. "Next time," she pleaded, "Can I stay with Allie and you and Dad just go?"This is of course why we have Allie watching our children in the first place. Because they love her and she loves them just the same.
So tonight, as Jeremy and I were gearing up to leave, I was showing Sydney our wedding album and talking about that day seven years ago when Jeremy and I promised to love each other forever. Jeremy mentioned that Sydney might get married someday, to which I added, "But it will have to be when you find someone really special. Someone you will love forever."
After a moment's reflection, Sydney said, "I will love Allie forever."
Did Jeremy and I feel bad leaving the kids with a sitter so we could go out? Not one bit.
Do I sometimes feel bad that we don't go out more often so that Sydney can spend more time with her idol? Yeah, I do.
Happy Anniversary to two of the best people and parents I know.
ReplyDelete