Today we went to the Austin Museum of Art. On the way to the museum, we stopped to pick up my friend Carol Edwards and then my friend Elissa and her son, Ben met us there.
There is apparently a museum employee whose entire job is to walk around and say (nicely), "don't touch" and "no photographs." We became well acquainted with her (thankfully after I got a great picture of Sydney looking at one of the pieces of artwork that I was not supposed to photograph) but she even commented later on how well behaved Sydney was.After walking around and looking at all of the art that we were not allowed to touch, we went to the Family Lab which Sydney referred to as the room where you can touch everything. They had crayons and markers and paper, of course.

They also had puzzles and these interesting connecting things that took a lot of fine motor control to clip together.
Carol, or Mrs. Edwards as Sydney called her, was very attentive to Sydney and made the whole day much, much easier by being there for Sydney so I could take care of Jack. They had these boxes of things (like shells and rocks, and even batteries) and then sketch paper. Mrs. Edwards and Sydney had a lot of fun looking at them all.
After the Art Museum, we went to lunch and then using Elissa's membership pass, to the Children's Museum.Once again, Carol stuck by Sydney so that I could be with Jack. When we first arrived, Elissa and I took the boys to the baby play area and Carol and Sydney stayed at the train table. After about an hour, Ben was ready to go home and we still hadn't seen Carol or Sydney so we went searching for them. We found them at the Tinker Toys. It turns out that in an hour, all they had gotten to was the train table and the tinker toys. I know that speaks volumes about Sydney's attention span, but if you have even been one on one with a small child, you know it also speaks to Carol's patience.
After Elissa left, Sydney, Jack, Carol and I went to the Mi Familia exhibit. Sydney and Carol did some cooking and I got to take some pictures of them playing together.
It's days like this when we leave the house early in the morning and stay gone and busy all day long having fun with friends that make being a mom seem like the best job on the planet. What a great day!
Two things stand out about these pics. The first one is that the unauthorized photo is a really beautiful photograph. I just stared at it. The other thing is, when did you get so tan?? I've never seen you with that coloring. :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I REALLY liked that piece of artwork. It was the hardest not to touch... for me and Sydney. As for the tan, I'm sure it's been slowly building over the summer even though I try to put sunscreen on, but I forgot completely on Fourth of July, so we all got some sun that day.
ReplyDelete